Jeremiah Owyang’s 5 reasons why owning physical media (DVDs, CDs) is antiquated:
- 1. I’m impatient; I want it, when I want it.
- 2. Owning media takes up space.
- 3. It reminds me of the 80s and 90s when my friends would buy shelves and shelves of VHS tapes –DVDs will be antiquated, as new formats are already coming around beyond Blu-Ray.
- 4. Owning media is a liability: It depreciates over time, can be a challenge and a headache to sell.
- 5. It’s bad for the environment: If there’s anything the world needs less of it’s forged plastic disks and equally bad for the environment containers.
I’ll add that it is surprising how little you reuse these expensive examples of impulse buying. Add up all the $10 increments in your closet and ask yourself what useful, durable item you would have actually purchased with the funds.
A backpacking tent?