Now that you understand why content marketing is so damn important, here’s a brief explanation of what content marketers and digital project managers do to make content effective. Why is content marketing so damn important? Because people come to your website for the content.
Content marketing and digital project managers help people decide what their websites and other digital and social channels should say and how it should be said. They work with web writers to take business goals and build web content (your message) that helps customers gather information and complete tasks without any hassle.
Content inventory maintenance
Your brand already has content (old, new and improved):
- Old content can be repurposed
- New content needs to be created
- All content needs to be tuned for appropriate tone and voice
People come to your website for the content after searching for answers to questions and you expertly position yourself with exactly what they want. You use text, video, audio, slideshows, just about anything that provides those answers. A digital strategy leader’s daily responsibilities include defining, refining and promoting the value of digital content across all platforms – including social media platforms.
After you deliver content
Digital channels (websites, blogs, social media channels) help to place your message (your content) in a timely manner. Two critical things happen outside these channels:
- Your brand’s content is shared in other digital spaces
- Credibility of your message is tested in space you don’t control
You’ve worked with display advertising, TV commercials, banner ads and radio spots in the past. AlI of these great old methods of advertising are not exactly portable. Advertisers can’t put it in your hands immediately and in a way that you can then share with others.
You want your ideas to be sharable, rapidly portable and to carry customer credibility? Your digital marketing strategy needs a content strategy to move message.
Next post: Content marketers must understand people, content and timing to make content effective.
KC’s Content Marketing series
- Why content marketing is so damn important
- What content marketers and digital managers do
- Choose the best people to deliver content marketing
- List of content marketing tactics
- Timing content for sales cycle, buying cycle and news cycle